"Cricket was the winner," says Sammy after PSL final in Lahore

Darren Sammy, who lead Peshawar Zalmi to the title in the second edition of the Pakistan Super League in the final held in Lahore, said the decision to travel to Pakistan was for a good cause. A number of overseas players pulled out after it was announced that the final will be played in Lahore but Sammy along with David Malan, Chris Jordan, Anamul Haque, Marlon Samuels, Morne van Vyk travelled to play.

"When you have not been in a place you always have your doubts," Sammy said on Sunday (March 4) after leading his team to the title. You get different views, different opinions. But I spoke to Javed [Afridi, the Peshawar team owner] and Shahid Afridi and they influenced my decision to come here. All the boys just made the decision that we are part of something that we are coming down here for a good cause. The fans here deserve to see their players playing as they haven't seen it for quite a while. I am glad I came here. 

 
"I have enjoyed playing a cricket match [in Lahore] and I have even enjoyed being with the security guys as I have never seen something like this before so it was a good experience. It is hopefully a step in the right direction, where things could happen. What I can say is that being here felt like playing in St Lucia, playing in India or anywhere else in the world. And like I said at the toss, today I felt cricket was the winner." 

This was the second time a major match was played in Pakistan after the attack on the Sri Lankan team in 2009 in Lahore. A number of teams have refused to travel to Pakistan with the Federation of International Cricketers' Association (FICA) as well advising players to refrain from travelling to the country. Only Zimbabwe, in the eight years, have played in Pakistan when they toured for a limited-overs series in 2015. 

Sammy also acknowledged that winning the trophy meant a lot to him. "To me it was more than just a game," he said. "It started with the draft. Lala [Afridi] made the big announcement that I would be the captain and one of our mottos was to bring back the smiles so I felt tonight I brought a lot of smiles in Lahore and Peshawar. It is an amazing day and this trophy means a lot."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts Widget